Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Emelia: September 9th

We had a three-day weekend, so 7 of us decided to travel out to Barcelona, Spain. The weather, beaches, and architecture was stunning, but unfortunately, a few hours before we boarded the plane to go home, my purse was stolen from me at a nice restaurant on the marina. My purse contained all forms of identification, including my passport, and also contained a camera full of gorgeous pictures and some other important items. After frantically (and hysterically) calling the police, local security, banks, my parents, and Manka, I realized that my bag would most likely not be recovered. Thus, with the much needed help of Gentry and Marissa, we booked a hotel near the US consulate to get an emergency passport so we could leave Spain.

Upon checking in, we met an Iranian woman who had also had her passport stolen. Unfortunately, she had been waiting days for her new passport. After I arrived at the US consulate, it took no more than an hour before I left with a new, valid passport. It was interesting to contrast governments. The American government was quick and efficient, each visitor going through a series of steps, filling out the proper forms, getting in line, taking passport photographs, and waiting for the passport to be printed. I feel incredibly lucky and priveleged to be a citizen in a country that has the means to get me the documents I need to return home. The contrast between how countries are able to treat their own citizens is surprising.

Because of the delay in arriving in Rome, I missed the first day of volunteering at the refugee center. However, I was able to catch an interesting Q and A session with Dottor Ongini, who is in charge of the intercultural program in Italy. It was interesting having a look on the immigration/education issues with a person on the inside. He explained to us how the departments of schools and Universities have merged. He told us that immigration has become more and more prominent, with 50,000 immigrant children in school ten years ago, and with 574,000 immigrant children today. The most interesting topic that he talked about, in my opinion, was Italian teachers. He explained that because there are not many job opportunities for young people, many Italians end up falling into the career of education. They aren't held in as high esteem as doctors or lawyers, and are only paid about 1200 euro per month. He also said that they cannot monitor teachers in schools to make sure they are following some sort of integration-based curriculum, but that it is really left up to the teacher him or herself, and the school district.

It was shocking to me how there is no set guidelines for integrating immigrant students. Teachers, it seems, are not given adequate pay or reward for doing so, and immigrant children are the ones that bear the brunt of the system. It will be very interesting for me to see what happens with this, and how the government and schools respond, as immigration continues to grow and permeate Italy.

I have enjoyed the speakers and little journeys we have taken thus far as a class, and look forward to those that are to come!

No comments: